11.12.2011

Grandma Spackman's Fudge Frosting

Grandma Spackman’s Fudge Frosting.

My mother is a tough connoisseur of frosting. She calls it her "crack cocaine." The other day she let me know she has officially switched to a new method of making chocolate frosting. What?! Impossible! So, I thought it would be worth sharing her valuable nugget of information. Interestingly enough, it’s her mother-in-law’s recipe. Somehow my mother skipped over it all these years. Anyway...here’s the recipe in my grandma’s words. (P.S. She’s Canadian)

The following is an easy substitute for real fudge icing (or frosting as you Americans say it) and is very good. I seldom use real fudge icing anymore and I don’t have the recipe with me – I usually just remember it.

Fudge Icing

2 cups sugar (powdered)

½ cup cocoa

Mix together and add

1 cup cream and

½ cup butter

Bring to a boil stirring constantly and then boil 5 minutes only. Let cool. Beat with mixer adding 4 or more cups of icing (or powdered in U.S.) sugar until of the spreading consistency. If it gets a little too stiff add a little more cream. Ice the cake. It will be wonderful.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

sounds yummy! I noticed you left off the "crack cocaine" off of the RS newsletter! :)