2.19.2010

Corn bread and sausage stuffing

This is my family's stuffing recipe. I know Thanksgiving is far away, but I just made it for C.J.'s birthday last week and thought I'd share. It's never too early to start thinking about turkey day, right?

  • One batch of cornbread (I have used Jiffy and it's good, but I prefer a non-sweet mix or recipe)
  • An equal amount of bread (I like to use whole wheat or something more "rustic" than plain white bread)
  • One pound of pork sausage fully cooked, drained, and crumbled (sage preferred)
  • Fresh celery and onion, diced
  • Sage (if not in the sausage already), poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste (you can play around with the seasonings - I don't have poultry seasoning so I don't add it)
  • Chicken stock for liquid

In a large bowl, after the cornbread cools, crumble it into small pieces. Add an equal amount of bread cut up or torn apart to approximately the same size. Then mix in the sausage, vegetables, and seasoning. Then add enough of the chicken stock to the dressing to moisten it. Be careful not to add too much liquid or it will get mushy.

Bake in a covered oven dish at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. If you want the top browned you can take the lid off for the last few minutes of cooking.

1 comment:

Zane and Lexi said...

um yes, I think I asked you to post this :) CJ shared his birthday stuffing with us and it was DELISH!!!